What you'll need:
2 x slices of frozen puff pastry
3 x cups of milk
600ml thickened cream
3/4 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup of custard powder
1/2 cup hot water
2 tablespoons of gelatin
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 x cups sifted icing sugar
60g melted butter
1 teaspoon strawberry essence
Pink food colouring
How to make Vanilla Slice:
1. Line two slice trays with baking paper and bake puff pastry sheets at 210 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden and set aside.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat combine the cream, sugar and custard powder and stir until the sugar dissolves.
3. Pour in the milk and vanilla essence and stir until the mixture becomes smooth and thick then remove from heat.
4. Disolve the gelatin in the hot water and pour into the custard mixture and stir together well, then cover and allow to cool slightly.
5. Line a slice tray with baking paper and place one of the cooked puff pastry sheets on the base, spoon the custard mixture evenly over the base, place the remaining puff pastry sheet on the top and refrigerate until set.
1. Combine the icing sugar, butter, strawberry essence and a couple of drops of food colouring in a bowl and mix together.
2. Add enough hot water to create a thick yet spreadable icing.
3. Spread evenly over the top puff pastry layer and refrigerate until set.
4. Cut into squares and enjoy.